Aim : To provide counseling and necessary timely help to women who are victims of various atrocities.
Objectives:legal assistance, rape, sexual harassment, domestic violence and dowry harassment,Santhwana Centre's are being implemented through NGOs funded by the Department,Santhwana Centres are functioning 24*7 with a counselor and 3 social workers to provide assistance to women in distress,At present 123 Santhwana centres are functioning at Taluk level.
Hostel for Girls:
Aim: To encourage education among rural girls and also to prevent school dropouts in backward taluk and rural areas.
Objectives: Girls studying in pre-metric and post-metric govt./aided educational institutions are provided boarding facilities in these hostels,These hostels are funded by the department for staff honorarium, building rent and food allowance,At present 37 hostels are functioning throughout the State, out of which 19 pre-metric and 18 are post-metric,Apart from this, timely funds are released for purchase of utensils and furniture,Action has been initiated to install CC TV in all the hostels for the safety & security purpose.
Scheme for Construction Working Women's Hostel (STATE):
Aim:- To provide safe and suitable accommodation facilities for working women
As more women are seeking employment and financial independence they are migrating to urban areas in search of jobs.Financial assistance of Rs. 25.00 lakh of grant is provided to registered NGOs for construction of hostels in 4,000 sq.ft. of area in district centres.To provide budget for construction and expansion of hostel,To provide affordable and safe hostel accommodation to working women and also to women who are being trained for grants are sanctioned to NGO's directly from the Government of India. Out of the total estimated cost of the building 65% will be provided by the Government of India and the State Government will bear15% and the remaining25% has to be borne by the NGO.
Kittur Rani Chennamma Award:
Aim :-To encourage women who have excelled in various field.
The Kittur Rani Chennamma award is bestowed to institutions and individuals working in the field of women development for a period of at least 5 years Selection committee has been constituted at the state level under the Chairmanship of the Hon'ble Minister which scrutinizes the proposals.The committee is empowered to select suitable recipients for the awards to be given on the occasion of International Women's Day.The institution award consists of cash of Rs.50,000/- and individual award consists Rs.25,000/- cash prize & a citation.Scheme of Assistance for the Construction/ Expansion of Hostel Building for Working Women.
Protection of Women From Domestic Violence Act,2005 Rule 2006:
- Act provides for more effective protection of rights of women guaranteed under the Constitution.
- For effective implementation, the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 Rules, 2006 came into force on the 26th day of October 2006.
- The Act has been implemented in Karnataka from June-2007.
Protection Officers: The Deputy Directors of Women and Child Development Department and Child Development Project Officers of Integrated Child Development Projects and exclusive 47 protection officers have been appointed as Protection Officers by the Government.
Legal Assistance:Free Legal Aid Centres have been set up in the office of Child Development Project Officers in all districts in association with Karnataka Legal Services Authority.In these centres, experienced advocates provide legal assistance on every Wednesday and Saturday.
Shelter and Homes:To provide shelter and counselling to women who are victims of domestic violence, Swadhar Centres, Short Stay Homes and Santhwana Centres are notified as Shelter Homes in the state.
Service Providers: 116 NGOs are notified as Service Providers to provide legal, medical and other aid and to protect the interest of women who are victims of domestic violence Coordination Committee.
State Level Co-ordinate Committee:District Level Co-ordinate Committee,Taluk Level Co-ordinate Committee.
Medical Facility: All the Government hospitals in the state notified to give the medical aid to the aggrieved persons.
While considering safety and protection of women, State Government has started 11 Transit hostels for accommodating women attending various job Interview, appearing Engineering/Medical/ other Educational Entrance Test, appearing for Competitive Exams.Short stay up to maximum of 3 days allowed to all category of women irrespective of income limit.Free accommodation, breakfast, meals and hot water bath facility and locker facility also available at free of cost.This project/Scheme is meant only for those women and students who are coming to Bangalore alone.
The Gender perspective in Human Development emphasizes the need to assess the relative levels of status of women on various development indicators viz., education, health, income safety, survival, work participation, participation in decision making, political participation etc.,
- The indicators point towards the attainment levels or gaps between men and women.
- The attainment levels and the gaps for women indicate a need for improvement.
- The improvement in attainment levels and addressing the gaps in priority sectors through policies, programmes and schemes is the concern of Government.
- Gender Budgeting has been recognized as a tool with potential to directly promote women's development and empowerment through allocation of resources for women oriented programmes and schemes.
- It entails identifying and reflecting needed interventions to address gender gaps in sector and local government policies, plans and budgets.
- It also aims to analyze the gender-differentiated impact of revenue-raising policies and the allocation of resources.
- The union Government in partnership with the states has taken a number of initiate to address the concerns of the women.
- Gender based budgeting helps to prioritize and orient public expenditure to reflect the concern of the women.
- To ensure Gender Equality and to bring women in mainstream of development “The Karnataka Mahila Abhiruddi Yojane” (KMAY) has been implementing in the department since from 03-05-2003.
- The Gender Budget Statement was introduced as a part of the State Budget in 2007-2008.
Implementation and Monitoring:
- The concerned line departments are responsible for the implementation of the programmes and schemes & monitoring their monthly progress using the Monthly Programme Implementation Calender(MPIC).
- In Gender Budget, the Government Programmes & Schemes under the 29 demands for grants are classified into 2 categories.
- 100 % women beneficiaries schemes are classified into ’A’- Category & Percentage of women beneficiaries range from 30 to 99% of the total intended beneficiaries are classified into ’B’- Category.
- The impact of Gender Budget on Social & Economic Status of women is jointly monitored by DWCD & Planning Dept.
Central Goverment Schemes:
Aim: A Rehabilitation Scheme For women in difficult circumstances.
Objective :Provision of temporary shelter, food, clothing, medical care for women in affected violence,The Government of India grant is sanctioned to run Shelter Homes, Women's Help-line, Counseling Centre, Training Centre and Medical Centre. At present 52 Swadhar Greh are functioning in the State.
One Stop Centre:
Comprehensive facilities for abused women under one roof, such as medical treatment and assistance, police assistance, legal aid and counseling are provided at One Stop Center One Stop Center (Sakhi) is functioning in Government District Hospitals in all 30 districts of the State at 24x7
- 100% grant to One Stop Centers is funded by the Central Government and released directly to the District Officers.
- The Central Government is releasing funds for the construction of own building and to appoint necessary staffs such as Administrater, Consultant, Legal advisor etc.,
- The implementation of the scheme is monitored by the committee constituted at State/District level.
Universalizastion of Women help line -181:
Aim:-Universalization of Women Helpline - 181 is a free telephone service available 24x7hours across the state to provide information to women and provide emergency assistance to underprivileged and distressed women under one roof.
In case of an emergency,the service is being transferred to the police, Under Domestic Violence Act cases are being transfered to Taluk Protection Officers. Counselling Services for Saki one stop Centers Santwana Centers Calls for Requesting temporary shelters will be transferred to Swadhar Greh. Child marriage related calls is to be transferred to jurisdiction Child Protection Officer (CMPO)